Last week my dearest UChicago buddies, M and C, and I locked up our bagel-eating, pizza-scarfing, coffee-chugging collegiate selves in our messy closets. Then we dressed up, put on our shiny faces and polished shoes and went to dinner. We ate a four course meal that was indescribably divine. (Pear salad, butternut squash soup, pumpkin risotto, creme brulee.) Here are some photos of our divine dining destination:


Lovely, no? The photos don't do it complete justice. There were orchids in the loo. And freshly crushed mint in the mojito. It was so great to NOT be a student so obiviously exhausted from paper writing exertions. We talked about our biggest hopes for 2007 and our heartfelt accomplishments in 2006. We didn't dwell on the fears. We reveled in possibility. Just what the philosopher ordered.
On the way to dinner, we strolled through Chicago's theater district, right then vowing to make the city a bigger part of our lives next quarter. Maybe not as big a part as the library, but certainly a stronger character in the plot of our UChicago experience.
And let it be known, that though I've made some new buddies. I've never been more greatful to have all of you than I was this year. Yes, that means you. I couldn't have made it even this far without all those "check-in" phone calls, 2-hour instant messaging sessions and just as long late night laments about the pathetic state of academic philosophy. Also to those of you that reminded me that I'm lucky to be here, doing what I love even though it's hard, and that there's nothing I'd rather be doing: thanks. It's just what I needed to hear.
Hugs to you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment