22 January 2007

For Choice, Yes But Also for Justice


Blog for Choice Day - January 22, 2007


Today is Blog For Choice Day sponsored by NARAL as a means for commemorating the 34th anniversary of Roe v. Wade. The aim is to get people to write why they are pro-choice, so here I blog.

Most of you know why I am pro-reproductive justice, but it's nice to think it again and remember the commitment.

-- Bodily integtity is crucial to self-determination. Having a say in what happens to your body is perhaps THE most fundamental human right.

-- Choice implies the ability to choose - the ability to decide. When a society lets people decide what happens in their lives, they implicity show how much those members of society are valued and trusted. I value and trust people with female bodies to make any and all choices about their reproductive lives. And people of all kinds of bodies, too, for that matter.

-- How much money a person has, or what race they are, or where they live, or any other such thing, should not limit a person's human potential. Pre-Roe economic status, race, and gender were limiting characteristics for many people. This one goes beyond reproductive concerns and launches us into the realm of human rights and global justice in general.

I think that covers the basics, but if you have anything at all to add, please do.

Here's to justice.



No comments: