19 April 2007

Well, Shit

What a tough day. Considering the debacle at Virginia Tech, I've been in a bit of a funk. Now this.

From the dissent by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg:

Today's decision is alarming. It refuses to take Casey and Stenberg seriously. It tolerates, indeed applauds federal intervention to ban nationwide a procedure found necessary and proper in certain cases by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). It blurs the line, firmly drawn in Casey, between previability and postviability abortions. And, for the first time since Roe, the Court blesses a prohibition with no exception safeguarding a woman's health.

Hell in a handbasket, it seems. Once I collect my thoughts, I might try to actually write something coherent about this. Also, I'm sending all my love and support to my dear friends and colleagues who work on these issues at the frontlines. You all are my heroes and I guess the show must go on. For now, though, I suggest we all look for ways to take it to the streets.

2 comments:

Samara said...

I was furious when I heard the ruling, yesterday too! This has certainly been a hell of a week, unfortunately! :(

RootsInTheCity said...

I know. Bah. I'm trying to keep from being dejected... so far it's not working...