(That title is a wee shout out to Ms. S.)
Also, this is dramatic and quintessentially New York. I can't think of a worse place to give birth than a subway platform. She's a hero.
Donning my health care advocate hat (so as to justify tooling around on Gothamist in the AM), I read the comments in the Gothamist article. One of these read, "That baby probably got more attention on the subway platform than she would have gotten at Bellvue [Hospital]." Sadly, this may be true. Health care disparities, indeed.
25 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hellz yeah! (Thanks for the wee shout out!)
Honestly- I love stories like this! I don't necessarily mean stories about women giving birth in random places (though I do agree this woman is a rock star!)... What I love is how New Yorkers came together to help out a complete stranger in a time of need. It's the complete OPPOSITE of that story out of New Haven, CT, where a senior citizen got hit by a car and people stopped and stared, or just walked by - without doing anything! (I'm not slamming New Haven per se, I'm just saying... WTF?)
Strangers helping strangers. God, I love New York!
Post a Comment