
So, because of the many happenings in my life and work, I haven't any time to take an actual vacation. But I've had a great idea: I'm going on a New York vacation!
Bear with me, it's not as lame as it sounds. I realized something yesterday, as I was hit by the fatigue of work-related weekend travel and weeknight obligations: I won't be able to make it to Texas before the summer is out, and can't really afford to go anywhere else. So, instead of wallowing, I've decided to be proactive. Instead of just working through the entire summer, I will take some days off from work (maddness!), detach from my computer and cell phone, and enjoy NYC like it's meant to be enjoyed. Here are some of the things I want to do:
Stock my fridge and cupboards with delightful vacation food so that I can get out of the raisin-bran-for-breakfast-lunch-and-dinner funk I've been in. Fresh fruit, croissants, gourmet coffee... you get the picture.
Spend mornings enjoying said delectables and reading the paper.
Spend afternoons strolling through the summery senic locales of NYC like the parks, piers and promenades that I've been woefully neglecting. Maybe some museums thrown in for good measure.
Spend the late afternoons in out of the way coffee bars and bistros reading and being mysterious.
Spend the evenings going to foreign films, blues clubs and other interesting venues and continue being mysterious.
So, now what do you think?
Clearly, I've given this some thought. You'll notice one very particular element of this plan. There's NOBODY else in it. I might pick the week that Anna's out of town, so that the apartment is quiet and I won't make plans to see any New York friends. It'll be like I'm not here! Like I'm actually on vacation! Not a novel idea for most people, but rather revolutionary for the likes of me.
3 comments:
I'm love it. And I'm so jealous you get to be mysterious in NYC. Ain't no mystery in Alabama. Sigh.
I LOVE the idea. All of those activities sound glorious... and I can't believe I'm not invited to a single one!
I suppose I can forgive you... as long as you promise to send me a postcard! :)
i'm so ready. EP. International woman of mystery. I'm going to wear sunglasses (all day) and get some swishy skirts. You know, so that it's believable.
Post a Comment