18 August 2008

Reasons to live and love in NYC: Cafe Lalo

Having just spent a blissful weekend walking through the parks and sitting in Cafes sipping all manner of delightful summer beverages, I've decided to chronicle for you, dear, faithful readers, my favorite cafe in NYC. Come to see me and I'll take you, if I haven't already.

The honor of top billing, and it's very own post, goes to an old-favorite, Cafe Lalo. Made famous by the charming "You've Got Mail" scene, this is an Upper West Side delight. I've not eaten a single confection here that wasn't absolutely delicious; from the flourless chocolate torte to the red velvet cupcakes, from the brunch Bellini to the Irish coffee. They even make salads and sandwiches.



I've loved this place since I was a poor and weary intern at Amnesty International. I spent that entire summer pinching every penny till it screamed. But on Saturday afternoons I would splurge for the $4.75 Parisian brunch special, served til 3pm. It consists of a warm, toasted croissant, your choice of fancy jam (blackberry is my favorite) and a perfect, frothy cafe au lait, dusted with cinnamon. Coupled with Didion, as it was this weekend, the effect is Saturday jouissance, unparalleled.



It's NEVER that quiet. Unfortunately.

No comments: